Teeth can last a lifetime when properly cared for, which includes good oral hygiene, proper diet, and regular visits to the proper dentist. The statement stands true for everyone, including adults, infants, and children.
A child’s oral health is just as important as their physical development, and introducing your child to a pediatric dentistry kids clinic in Gig Harbor early is essential for fostering a positive relationship with oral healthcare. Early dental appointments serve multiple purposes, from reducing anxiety and fear associated with visits to identifying any potential risks and providing guidance on proper oral techniques.
Importance of oral hygiene in children
Good oral healthcare habits start as early as infancy. Even when you’re nursing or bottle feeding your little one, you should establish some sort of dental care regime. Before any teeth appear, you can wipe teeth gums with water and a soft washcloth. Once the teeth come, consult an expert children’s dentist in Gig Harbor, Bainbridge Island, Poulsbo, Hansville, Silverdale, Belfair, and Port Hadlock, and use the right set of tools designed especially for babies.
Your pediatric dentist will keep your kid’s teeth clean by removing plaque buildup and food debris that may be stuck in his teeth, preventing bacteria from multiplying and leading to different dental diseases(like inflammation of the teeth gum tissue, or tooth decay).
The Ideal Age for First Dental Visit
The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) and the American Dental Association recommend that children see a dentist by their first birthday, which directly contradicts the survey results that show 17% of parents wait until their child is four or older to go to the dentist. Top pediatric dentists in Gig Harbor, Bremerton, Silverdale, and Hansville preach the mantra of “early and often” when it comes to the ideal child age for their very first dental appointment.
The first dentist visit is about allowing your little one to become comfortable and familiar with the process. It can also help spot and dodge possible issues with spacing, teeth gums, or the alignment of your child’s teeth.
Preventive Measures Offered in Early Visits
- Preventive dental care can begin as soon as a little one gets their first tooth. It can help identify the problems early on in your kid’s life before they worsen.
- To help ensure proper oral health, top pediatric experts in Gig Harbor usually recommend the following key preventive measures:
- Promote good dental care habits like brushing and flossing.
- Regular oral inspections and teeth cleanings, usually within six months.
- Ensuring children receive proper guidance on thumb sucking and eating habits that help improve oral health.
- Fluoride application (this is applicable only up to a certain age)
Dental Sealants(kids should be old enough for this)
- Routine X-rays to monitor and help track jaw and teeth development
Fitting athletic mouthguards if needed.
- Lastly, identifying any related health issues that may impact a kid’s oral health.
Helps identify and prevent early dental issues
Another major advantage of an early pediatric dentist visit is the possibility of detecting potential dental problems(like cavities or malocclusion).
Additionally, there are a few bad habits that are notorious among children, like thumb-sucking and teeth grinding, which could be challenging to break. If these oral health issues are detected early, they get treated early before causing any harm to the permanent teeth of the children.
Regular dental visits to a pediatric dentist in Gig Harbor, Port Orchard, and Bremerton can also help reduce the requirement for more extensive and expensive treatments in the future. By detecting and treating dental problems earlier, you can avoid certain invasive procedures in the future.
Building Lifelong Oral Hygiene Habits
Good oral health hygiene habits start before a baby’s first teeth erupt. Also, did you know that the two of the major issues dentists deal with, teeth gum disease and tooth decay, can both be prevented with good oral hygiene? Expert pediatric dentists in Gig Harbor, Port Ludlow, Seabeck, Kingston, Port Townsend, and Belfair recommend the following proactive strategies for healthy smiles.
- Parents should encourage their kids to avoid sugary snacks and drinks and consume a balanced diet full of green vegetables, fruits, and whole grains that promote strong teeth and gums.
- When the kid’s first tooth appears, parents should use a soft-bristled toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste to brush their teeth gently.
- Folks should also guide their children on brushing for two minutes at least twice daily. Also, properly explain to them the importance of cleaning all surfaces of their teeth, including the front, back, and chewing surfaces.
- It’s also important to include flossing as a practice in the kid’s oral hygiene routine. Encourage them to floss once a day to remove plaque and residual food particles from between their teeth.
- Parents can also consider dental sealants for their kids as they act as a barrier against cavities and reduce the risk of tooth decay.
Lastly, maintaining your child’s oral hygiene habits doesn’t have to be a mundane chore or intimidating. In the end, it really comes down to choosing the best pediatric dentist with an ample amount of experience and expertise.
If you’re in the same boat and are looking for the best pediatric dentistry service for kids in Gig Harbor, Bainbridge Island, Poulsbo, Hansville, Silverdale, Belfair, Bremerton, Port Orchard, Kingston, Port Townsend, Port Hadlock, Port Ludlow, and, Seabeck, you’re at the right place!
Pediatric Dentistry of Central Iowa aims to provide a top-quality, warm, and friendly experience to your little one. We treat every child who comes through our doors in a special, welcoming manner and cater to their specific dental needs.
The hygienists at our firm are registered and certified with the Iowa Board of Dental Examiners and meet the highest standards of continuing dental education. They’ve worked with children of all age groups from various backgrounds with different dental struggles.
Our friendly office staff is excited to welcome and care for you! Contact our team today to book an appointment.